World No. 11 Milos Raonic will not compete in the 2017 US Open due to an injured left wrist.

The 26-year-old from Canada was forced to withdraw from the Cincinnati Masters last week with the injury and announced on his official Facebook page that he underwent a procedure to remove portions of the bone that was causing him discomfort and preventing him from playing at top form.

"I have tried everything in my power to rehabilitate this injury in time for the US Open in order to play an event that is so truly special to me," Raonic said. "However, the pain is too great and, in consultation with my doctors, I am left with no option but to withdraw from the event.

"I am crushed to miss this event and a chance to play in front of the fantastic New York crowd, but I truly had no other options. I am already back in the gym starting my rehabilitation and hope to be recovered and back on the court in a matter of a few weeks. I look forward to rejoining the tour healthier and stronger and finishing the 2017 year in proper form."

Raonic, who reached the round of 16 in New York in 2012, 2013 and 2014 for his best US Open performances, is the latest men's player to withdraw from the year's final major. Two-time champion Novak Djokovic (elbow), defending champion Stan Wawrinkna (knee) and former US Open finalist Kei Nishikori (wrist) will also miss this year's tournament.

Raonic will be replaced by a lucky loser in the main draw.