Sunday, 5 November 2017 20:11 PM EST
2017 US Open Spotlight: Jack Sock

Jack Sock captured the biggest title of his career on Sunday, winning the Paris Masters 1000 with a three-set victory over surprise finalist Filip Krajinovic. In doing so, he clinched the last spot in the 2017 ATP Finals, reserved for the eight players who have earned the most ATP World Tour ranking points this year.

Here’s a little on the ascending American:

The Jack Sock File

Height: 6-3
Residence: Kansas City, KS
Current Rank: 22
Career-High Rank: 14 (April 2017)
Best US Open Finish: 4R (2016)

The Baseline

- Sock has enjoyed a standout season, headlined by his victory Sunday in Paris. With the title, he became the first U.S. man to win a Masters 1000 crown since Andy Roddick in Miami in 2010 and the first to win in Paris since Andre Agassi in 1999.

- In the new rankings to be released Monday, Sock will rise from No. 22 in the world to inside the Top 10 – the first time he has cracked the Top 10. He is guaranteed to finish the year as the top-ranked American man for the first time.

- The victory also clinched Sock’s first-ever spot in the season-ending ATP Finals. He is the first American man to qualify for the ATP Finals since Mardy Fish in 2011 and the youngest U.S. man to do so since a 21-year-old Roddick in 2003.

- In addition to Paris, Sock has won titles in Auckland and Delray Beach in 2017, giving him three on the year and four for his career (alongside Houston in 2015). Also this year, the Nebraska native reached the semifinals in Indian Wells and the quarterfinals in Miami, both Masters 1000 events, as well as the semis in Houston and Washington, D.C.

- Sock is a standout doubles player. He won the gold medal in mixed doubles (with Bethanie Mattek-Sands) and the bronze medal in men’s doubles (with Johnson) at the 2016 Olympics, and he won the Wimbledon men’s doubles title in 2014 (with Vasek Pospisil). He also went 2-1 in doubles during this year’s Laver Cup.

- Sock has thrived at the US Open throughout his career. He won the boys’ singles title in 2010 and the mixed doubles title in 2011 (with Melanie Oudin). And last year, he matched his best-ever Grand Slam singles result by upsetting 2014 US Open champion Marin Cilic to advance to the round of 16.

They Said It!

“I'd be lying if I said that 18 months ago I was mentally prepared to win matches like this. It's something I've worked really hard toward. It's something that, if you put your nose down and keep fighting, good things will happen. Crazy things can happen. That's sports, and that's why we play.” – Sock, after winning the Paris Masters to go from No. 24 to No. 9 in the points race to qualify for the eight-man ATP Finals (No. 7 Stan Wawrinka withdrew with an injury)